Digital technology is a tool that does not use human performance manually, but also for automatic operating systems with computer assisted systems and computers readable. Basically, digital technology is a very fast counter system that handles all information as numeric (digital code).
As mentioned earlier, digital technology is a very fast counting system by processing information in the form of digital codes or numbers (numbers). Before processing, it is exposed to a sensor that converts real-world information into digital code (an example is a digital camera). The digital code sent by the sensor is processed by the computer (microprocessor) that needs to be present in the digital device. Information is displayed on the screen from the result of digital data processing.
Analog technology is basically a simple tool, like an analog computer, with a specific program set in a specific setting. Analog computers are essentially measuring devices and are typically used in machines to provide information and automated control. The disadvantage of analog technology is that it cannot be measured accurately and it takes a long time to process the information.
An example of analog technology is a regular phone (smartphone / open smartphone), while digital technology is a phone that uses internet signals.
Analog technology can also be described as a technological transition from mechanical technology to digital technology. In this case, mechanical technology takes precedence over mechanical or manual systems. Mechanical engineering already has a structured mechanical system, so you don’t need a computer or microprocessor to control and operate it. The weakness of this mechanical system is that it has a limited layout and is composed of many mechanical parts that require special attention.
Look at the following mechanical (left), analog (upper right), and digital (lower right) watches.
With proper care (no rusted parts), mechanical watches will last very long. Analog clocks require maintenance in the form of battery replacement every few years. Digital clocks use sensors to determine the user’s environment (light sensor, motion sensor, etc.).
Digital technology development
Digital Era Open Digital Technology Development and Wide extensive than the following three things.
- The birth of the computer in 1940 and its subsequent development.
- The Internet or the World Wide Web (WWW) was born in 1989.
- The social networking site (social media) was born in 1997 and has been widely used since the 2000s.
Advantages of Digital Technology
Each type of technology has its own advantages. Here are some of the benefits of digital technology:
- Data sent from one location to another is transmitted in the form of digital signals and is not affected by bad weather or noise.
- Various types of communication systems are available and can be used.
- It is more practical and stable, resulting in lower maintenance costs.
Disadvantages of Digital Technology
In addition to the advantages of all kinds of technologies, the disadvantages of digital technology are:
- Errors that can occur during conversion (digitization) of analog signals to digital signals.
- The possibility of theft of important digital data such as account numbers and work data by hackers and viruses.
- It can create excessive dependence on users and significantly impair empathy and social skills.